looking for a light weighted library/tool to write simple GUI above the text based application

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Fri Jan 25 17:58:01 EST 2008

petr.jakes.tpc at gmail.com schrieb:
> Hi,
> I am working with the Python 2.5 running on the command line version
> of Linux Ubuntu 7.04. This means NO X-windows, NO GTK/Gnome, NO
> computer mouse, on my machine (AMD Geode 500MHz CPU, VGA output).
>
> I would like to write some really light weighted GU interface. My
> concept is to have just few user screens (about 10) controlled via 4
> or 5 HW buttons connected to the GPIO pins they are available on the
> motherboard (the HW design and the SW concept of reading this buttons
> is already solved).
>
> After some googling, I have found below mentioned can be usable, but
> first, I would like to ask here for your opinions/experiences/advices.
>
> Best regards
>
> Petr Jakes
>
> http://www.libsdl.org/
> http://pyfltk.sourceforge.net/
> http://www.pygame.org/news.html
> http://pyui.sourceforge.net/
> http://pyglet.org/

pygame is based on sdl, pyui can render to pygame. So if you use that
stack, it's a question of SDL being capable of directly rendering to
something like SVGALib.

Pyglet is OpenGL, and fltk seems to need X.

But WHY aren't you just installing X? You don't need to run a
full-fledged Desktop like gnome or kde on top of it - just use ratpoison
or anything else as desktop manager & be happy.

After all, my first PC had 16MB of RAM and 133MHz - and ran X w/o any
problems.

Diez