Write Python like a Python programmer (was: A design problem)

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jan 31 00:36:30 EST 2008

"Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar> writes:

> En Thu, 31 Jan 2008 01:57:41 -0200, Dan Upton <upton at virginia.edu>
> escribió:
>
> > Or: How to write Python like a Python programmer, not a Java
> > programmer.  This will be a little long-winded...
> >
> > So I just recently started picking up Python, mostly learning the new
> > bits I need via Google and otherwise cobbling together the functions
> > I've already written.  It occurred to me though that one of my
> > programs was still probably written very much like I would in Java
> > (part of the reason I'm picking up Python is I'm tired of my coworkers
> > making fun of me for writing parsing/reformatting programs in Java).
>
> Maybe you've already read this, but I'll post the links anyway:
> http://dirtsimple.org/2004/12/python-is-not-java.html
> http://dirtsimple.org/2004/12/java-is-not-python-either.html

Also, for someone "learning the new bits I needed via Google", try
these:

    The Python tutorial
    <URL:http://www.python.org/doc/tut/>

    Python anti-pitfalls
    <URL:http://mechanicalcat.net/cgi-bin/log/2003/09/02>

As for "write Python like a Python programmer", this:

    Code Like a Pythonista: Idiomatic Python
    <URL:http://python.net/~goodger/projects/pycon/2007/idiomatic/handout.html>

--
 \      "I bought a self learning record to learn Spanish. I turned it |
  `\        on and went to sleep; the record got stuck. The next day I |