Python Standardization: Wikipedia entry

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Tue Jan 29 11:43:29 EST 2008

Paddy wrote:
> I would value the opinion of fellow Pythoneers who have also
> contributed to Wikipedia, on the issue of "Is Python Standardized".
> Specifically in the context of this table:
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_programming_languages#General_comparison
>   (Comparison of programming languages)
> And this entry in the talk page
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Comparison_of_programming_languages#Standardized_Python.3F
>   (Talk:Comparison of programming languages#Standardized Python?)
>
> - Thanks.

   That's correct.  Python is not standardized by any standards body.  And no
two implementations are even close to compiling the same language.

   A consequence of the lack of standardization is that it discourages
implementations.  There are about four implementations of something like
Python (other than CPython), and none of them are close to being usable.
Letting the author of one implementation control the language discourages
other implementations.

   Submitting Python 2.5 to ISO/ANSI might be a good idea.

					John Nagle