How a smart editor could make "Postfix type declarations PEP3117" in Python3000 more readable

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Sat Jan 5 01:07:43 EST 2008

aspineux wrote:
> Hi
>
> I read the PEP 3117 about the new "Postfix type declarations"  in
> Python3000.
> THIS PEP as been REJECTED !

    Of course.  That was a joke.

 > And I think this is a good idea to include typing in python.

    Python doesn't really need explicit type declarations.
They're not needed for correctness, and they're not needed for
performance.  Take a look at Shed Skin, which is able to hard-compile Python
using type inference without explicit type declarations.

    (I'm writing as someone who's used and liked very strictly typed
languages like Ada and Modula.  Python actually does unusually well
without declarations.  Most languages that don't have declarations
run into difficulties.  Consider Basic, TCL, and Matlab, to name
three rather diverse examples.  Python managed to avoid the problems
those languages have.)

				John Nagle