-fno-strict-aliasing turned off when cross compiling

Squat'n Dive sndive at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 14:04:11 EST 2008

On Jan 16, 10:56 pm, "Martin v. Löwis" <mar... at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> > Does anyone have an idea why -fno-strict-aliasing is turned off when
> > cross compiling?
>
> Because detection of -fno-strict-aliasing is made through running
> the compiler output (AC_TRY_RUN, see configure.in instead). For
> cross-compilation, running the program isn't actually possible,
> so a default must be specified. Since we can't know whether the
> cross-compiler accepts -fno-strict-aliasing, we leave it out.

This makes some sense. Thank you. As for this:

   def detect_modules(self):
        # Ensure that /usr/local is always used
        add_dir_to_list(self.compiler.library_dirs, '/usr/local/lib')
        add_dir_to_list(self.compiler.include_dirs, '/usr/local/
include')

it looks like a recipe for a disaster when cross compiling:
cc1: warning: include location "/usr/local/include" is unsafe for
cross-compilation