Network-Packets

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven asmodai at in-nomine.org
Wed Jan 2 10:22:43 EST 2008

-On [20080102 16:00], Sunil Ghai (sunilkrghai at gmail.com) wrote:
>I know this is not the right place for asking about this but i am sure some of
>you must have an idea about this.

The networking community would be more appropriate, methinks.

>I would like to know what do we actually mean by "Bandwidth".

It is actually a fairly standardized term by now, to borrow Wikipedia's
definition:

In website hosting, the term "bandwidth" is often used metaphorically, to
describe the amount of data that can be transferred to or from the website or
server, measured in bytes transferred over a prescribed period of time.

Even if a system discards packets, your NSP, ISP or webhost will still count
it towards your total since it traversed their network.

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/
I must be cruel, only to be kind...