Core Python Programming . . .

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 20:00:27 EST 2008

> > 6-11 Conversion.
> >   (a) Create a program that will convert from an integer to an
> > Internet Protocol (IP) address in the four-octet format of WWW.XXX.YYY.ZZZ
> >   (b) Update your program to be able to do the vice verse of the above.
>
> I think it's is asking to convert a 32-bit int to the dotted form.
>
> It's a little known fact, but IP addresses are valid in non-dotted
> long-int form.  Spammers commonly use this trick to disguise their IP
> addresses in emails from scanners.

that is correct.  don't read too much into it.  i'm not trying to
validate anything or any format, use old or new technology.  it is
simply to exercise your skills with numbers (specifically 32-bit/4-
byte integers), string manipulation, and bitwise operations.  if you
wish to use different sizes of numbers, forms of addressing, IPv6,
etc., that's up to you. don't forget about part (b), which is to take
an IP address and turn it into a 32-bit integer.

enjoy!
-- wesley

ps. since you're on p. 248, there is also a typo in the piece of code
right above this exercise, Example 6.4, which is tied to exercise
6-7.  "'fac_list'" should really be "`fac_list`", or even better,
"repr(fac_list)".  see the Errata at the book's website http://corepython.com
for more details.

    http://corepython.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com