Python Standardization: Wikipedia entry

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jan 29 04:26:22 EST 2008

"Roy Smith" <roy at panix.com> wrote in message
news:roy-3C105C.23015128012008 at 70-1-84-166.area1.spcsdns.net...
| But, surely Python has plenty of "implementation defined" aspects.
| Especially in the libraries.

I personally do not consider the libraries as part of the language (as
opposed to the distribution) and was not referring to them.  The semantics
of the syntax is pretty tightly defined.  The main exception is floating
point, which is a nuisance.  Which is why one implementation aspect thereof
is being standardized in the next version.

| Especially those parts of the libraries which
| are thin layers on top of operating system services (os and socket come
| mind as two highly variable areas).

I am sure that sockets are not part of the C89 standard.  Hence the high
variability.  (I don't know about the newer C standard).   I would expect
that socket.py makes the variability no worse and presume that it masks at
least a bit of it.  Ditto for some os services.

tjr