Dictionary Keys question

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jan 31 08:35:46 EST 2008

Dustan <DustanGroups at gmail.com> writes:

> On Jan 30, 7:02 pm, FireNWater <kho... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thank you for the explanation. . . I think I now have a (foggy)
> > understanding of hash tables. It seems to be a way to create order
> > (an index) out of disorder (random numbers or characters) behind
> > the scenes. .
>
> The key thing to realize is, quite simply, don't rely on order in a
> dictionary.

The poster to which you replied is using "order" as contrasted with
"disorder". Clearly dictionaries *do* have order that can be relied
upon.

I think you're using "order" in the colloquial manner; more accurate
would be to say "don't rely on *sequence* in a dictionary".

--
 \     "Our task must be to free ourselves from our prison by widening |
  `\    our circle of compassion to embrace all humanity and the whole |