Python too slow?

bruno.desthuilliers at gmail.com bruno.desthuilliers at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 11:57:35 EST 2008

On 11 jan, 17:23, Ed Jensen <ejen... at visi.com> wrote:
> Bruno Desthuilliers <bruno.42.desthuilli... at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com> wrote:
> > fact 1: CPython compiles source code to byte-code.
> > fact 2: CPython executes this byte-code.
> > fact 3: Sun's JDK compiles source code to byte-code.
> > fact 4: Sun's JDK executes this byte-code.
>
> > Care to prove me wrong on any of these points ? Don't bother: you can't.
> > So my first assertion that "CPython is compiled to byte-code, which is
> > then executed by a VM" is true, and since the same assertion also stands
> > for Java (ie: sun's JDK), then the "just like" qualifier is true too.
> > Period.
>
> #2 and #4 are wrong (or, at best, misleading).  Here, I'll fix them
> for you:
>
> Fact 2: CPython interprets the bytecode.
>
> Fact 4: Sun's JVM does some interpretation of the bytecode, but also
> compiles some of the bytecode to native code and executes the
> resulting native code.
>
> These distinctions can be important and it's intellectually dishonest
> to gloss over them.

These distinctions are important if the context is the VM
implementation, which is *obviously* not the case here. FWIW, I you
had spent a bit more time reading the remaining of the discussion with
the OP, I do clearly mention this distinction. So please get a life
and keep your comment about "intellectual dishonesty" where they
belong.