pairs from a list

George Sakkis george.sakkis at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 14:06:44 EST 2008

On Jan 23, 1:30 pm, Paddy <paddy3... at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I've heard quality expressed as "meeting requirements", which I think
> is apt. Falling short of requirements everyone knows doesn't give a
> quality result, but equally 'exceeding' requirements also detracts
> from quality (as does not knowing your requirements).
> It is good to learn optimization techniques, which may be part of what
> you are saying, but part of that is learning when it pays to apply
> them and/or search for them; and when it does not.

The OP wanted an answer to a simple question, not a lecture on good
software engineering principles. This whole subthread reminds of a
movie (can't remember which) where someone asks his buddy in the
stadium "what do you want?". His buddy gets it wrong and embarks in a
long diatribe of what he wants in life now, what he wanted as a child,
what's the meaning of one's life and so on. After a couple of minutes
the guy cuts him and asks again:
- "Man, what do you want, burger or hot dog?"
- "Oh, a hot dog".

Sometimes you want to see the tree right in front of you, not the
whole damn forest.

George