Web Interface Recommendations

PurpleServerMonkey PurpleServerMonkey at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 15:17:58 EST 2008

On Jan 30, 8:08 pm, Bruno Desthuilliers <bruno.
42.desthuilli... at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com> wrote:
> PurpleServerMonkey a écrit :
> (snip)
>
> > Out of the major frameworks is there one that stands out as being
> > particularly well suited for what I'm trying to do?
>
> > Django and CherryPy are on the short list so I'll give them a detailed
> > look although Pylons does sound rather interesting as well.
>
> I guess you'll have to try them out to find the one that best match your
> needs and personal preferences. Mostly:
>
> - CherryPy is more of a web application server than a framework per-se:
> it's it's own HTTP server - which might or not be a good thing -, and
> only deals with the "controler" part of the MVC triad.
>
> - Django is by now a mostly mature MVC framework, with more than a
> couple years of production use on quite a lot of sites and applications,
> good documentation and a somewhat large and active community. OTHO, it's
> a very opiniated (and somewhat monolithic) framework, with most parts of
> the stack (ORM, forms validation, template system etc) built
> specifically for this framework (which was probably the sensible thing
> to do by the time), so it's perhaps the less flexible of the three.
>
> - Pylons is IMHO very promising: wsgi from bottom to top, very flexible,
> good default components choice (paste / Routes / SQLAlchemy / Mako /
> FormEncode) but let you swap what you want in and out, and FWIW I've
> seen so far a very sound architecture. FWIW, next Turbogears major
> version will switch from CherryPy to Pylons. OTHO, it's still far from
> being as mature and documented as Django.
>
> My 2 cents...

Thanks Bruno, that's just the sort of info I was after.

After reading more on the subject recently I'll be installing and
testing Pylons and Turbogears first, think it will be a good fit for
the project and if not there's no shortage of other offerings.