where do my python files go in linux?

Jorgen Bodde jorgen.maillist at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 04:02:56 EST 2008

Hi All,

Sorry for the late reply back, I had a busy weekend ... it seems there
is no clear way to do it and maybe that is why I was / am so confused.

Eventually I searched for *.py files, and like I said most apps seem
to install in /usr/share/{app} I believe that location is for data
only that is shared between users. But for simplicity's sake I put my
whole python application in there. It saves me setting a lot of paths
differently.

I made a symbolic link in /usr/bin that points to /usr/share/{app}/{app}.py

This all seems to work fine. When I am getting more experienced with
Debian / Ubuntu and linux overall, I will re-evaluate this and see if
I can improve it.

Thanks all for your answer,
- Jorgen