optional static typing for Python

ajaksu ajaksu at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 18:28:37 EST 2008

On Jan 27, 9:13 pm, "Russ P." <Russ.Paie... at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > On January 21, 2000? Which calendar do you use?
>
> > Static typing in Python is usual theme of april fools jokes.
>
> I hope Guido doesn't find out about that!

He does know, follow http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2007-April/072419.html
and get a laugh too! :)

On a more serious note, I suggest you look up ShedSkin, Pyrex and
Cython, where the static typing is used for better performance. And
with Psyco, you get dynamic typing with JIT specialization. In core
CPython, little is being done AFAIK to support static typing per-se,
but annotations can (and probably will) be used for that end. However,
I don't think it'll interfere in how CPython executes the program.

Daniel