Structure of packages

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Wed Jan 9 15:56:46 EST 2008

[Ben Fisher]
> I am trying to learn the best way to do intra-package references.

IMO, the email package is a stellar example of best practices using
packages.

> I have layered the dependencies so that a depends on b,
>b depends on c, and c depends on d.

For the most part, I think packages tend to be over-used and can
create more problems than they solve.  They were added as tool for
managing *very* large code bases and for helping resolve namespace
collisions between tools with similiar APIs.  Your layering
application may also be a good use but I haven't seen packages used
that way before.

Raymond