Linux Journal Survey

Russ P. Russ.Paielli at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 13:57:15 EST 2008

On Jan 23, 7:42 pm, George Sakkis <george.sak... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 23, 8:14 pm, dwb... at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > The annual Linux Journal survey is online now for any Linux users who
> > want to vote for Python.  http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1006101

> 18. What is your favorite programming language?
>
> (15 choices, Python not included)
>
> 19. What is your favorite scripting language?
>
> o Python
>
> o Perl
>
> (5 more choices)
>
> Python is much more than a "scripting language" (whatever this means,
> other than a semi-derogatory term used by clueless PHBs). Sorry, I'll
> pass.
>
> George

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I think of a Python
"script" as a flat source file with no (or few) functions or classes,
whereas a full-blown "program" has functions and classes. Both have
their place.

I agree it is unfortunate that the Linux World poll classified Python
as a "scripting language." I suspect they did that because Python is
not (typically) compiled and does not have static typing.