pairs from a list

George Sakkis george.sakkis at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 17:39:08 EST 2008

On Jan 23, 4:48 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:

> As for your other points, I think we're actually very much in agreement,
> except for your tolerance of random posters asking what I believe is an
> incoherent question: "what's the fastest way to do ...?". It seems to me
> you're willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they've done
> their profiling and considered their trade-offs, or at the very worst are
> asking from purely intellectual curiosity.

It depends on the specific problem and the context. For small well-
defined algorithmic type problems, I just assume it's intellectual
curiosity or that performance really matters. If the same question was
asked in the context of, say, a typical web application fetching data
from a database and rendering dynamic pages, I might have dismissed it
as YAGNI.

George