[OT] Valid Mail addresses modifications (WAS: Re: Looping through the gmail dot trick)

Martin Marcher martin at marcher.name
Mon Jan 21 08:57:31 EST 2008

Martin Vilcans wrote:

> Try the SMTP spec. IIRC there's a passage there that says that the
> server should try to make sense of addresses that don't map directly
> to a user name. Specifically, it says that firstname.lastname should
> be mapped to the user with those first and last names.

Short story long:

there aren't any!

FYI:

https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=10313&topic=1564

that was the only reference i found, http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0821.txt
doesn't mention anything beside EXPN which still treats the localpart
literally and checks for a mailbox (or alias) as literally found in the
localpart.

Personally I think google's doing wrong here. Just don't do it anywhere
else, as it's unlikely your mail will reach the person you intended to send
it.

--
http://noneisyours.marcher.name
http://feeds.feedburner.com/NoneIsYours

You are not free to read this message,
by doing so, you have violated my licence
and are required to urinate publicly. Thank you.