Python too slow?

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven asmodai at in-nomine.org
Thu Jan 10 05:56:58 EST 2008

-On [20080110 11:46], A.T.Hofkamp (hat at se-162.se.wtb.tue.nl) wrote:
>In my experience however, differences in CPU execution time are usually
>meaningless compared to differences in development time.

I have to disagree with you to a point.

Yes, maintenance of code is important, no denying that. However, if I can
calculate N variations of a certain material's properties in an hour and using
Python will cut that in half, the number of calculated variations per hour, I
will be concerned.

This is especially so for people designing, say, optics. If you look at the
amount of optimizing designs and calculating the resulting properties and
doing this for X iterations in a day it becomes quite painfully obvious that
raw CPU execution time *does* matter.

't All varies with what you want, of course...

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however
improbable, must be the truth...