Fortran to Python

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven asmodai at in-nomine.org
Sat Jan 5 05:35:17 EST 2008

-On [20080105 11:21], MartinRinehart at gmail.com (MartinRinehart at gmail.com) wrote:
>Why convert? Modern Fortran is an object oriented, structured language
>with the singular advantage that it can run old Fortran programs.

With all due respect to Fortran but I find the syntax to be utterly
horrendous. :)

Furthermore, the code is not really heavy number crunching in that it seems to
warrant explicit use in Fortran. At most it takes about 2 seconds on a current
day PC to calculate some of these values.

Furthermore it currently has a dependency on the Visual Numerics IMSL library.
For just some calculations to warrant the cost of both this library and a
Fortran compiler seems a bit excessive.

Given we use Matlab in-house, next to C# (and perhaps F# in the future), and
some Python it makes more sense to stick to your domain-specific knowledge
rather than maintaining some relic from the past.

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/
For ever, brother, hail and farewell...