Python too slow?

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com
Fri Jan 11 09:18:17 EST 2008

Ross Ridge a écrit :
> Bruno Desthuilliers <bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr> wrote:
>> And the reference implementation of Python (CPython) is not
>> interpreted, it's compiled to byte-code, which is then executed by a VM
>> (just like Java).
>
> Ross Ridge a écrit :
>> Python's byte-code interpreter is not "just like" Java's virtual machine.
>
> Bruno Desthuilliers  <bruno.42.desthuilliers at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com> wrote:
>> of course it's not "just like" - different languages, different
>> byte-codes, different implementations. What is "just like" is the
>> byte-code/VM scheme.
>
> No the schemes aren't "just like" each other.  They perform much
> differently.

fact 1: CPython compiles source code to byte-code.
fact 2: CPython executes this byte-code.
fact 3: Sun's JDK compiles source code to byte-code.
fact 4: Sun's JDK executes this byte-code.

Care to prove me wrong on any of these points ? Don't bother: you can't.
So my first assertion that "CPython is compiled to byte-code, which is
then executed by a VM" is true, and since the same assertion also stands
for Java (ie: sun's JDK), then the "just like" qualifier is true too.
Period.

>> Thought this was obvious to anyone able to parse a simple sentence.
>
> What's obvious is that you're lying.

Man, you suffer from a bad case of paranoia.

>>> You're deliberately trying to mislead people into thinking Python performs
>>> similarily to Java.
>> I don't know what you're smoking, but you should perhaps stop - because
>> this seems  to drive you into paranoïd delirium.
>
> This isn't the first time you've tried to mislead people into
> thinking Python's byte-code interpreter works just like Java's VM.

I challenge you to come with any evidence to support this claim. I never
wrote anything about CPython's byte-code interpreter inner working.

> Your over-zealous Python advocacy is benefiting no one.

Is there any cure for paranoia ?