Python or PowerShell ?

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 15:10:01 EST 2008

On Jan 8, 1:57 pm, "Martin P. Hellwig" <x... at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Torsten Bronger wrote:
> > Hallöchen!
>
> > josepharmbrus... at gmail.com writes:
>
> >> I am all about using the right tool for the right purposes, [...]
>
> > Which purpose?
>
> >> I dug up one article from Google that talked about comparison but
> >> that was about it.
>
> >>http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/database-administration/comparing-pyth...
>
> > This comparison is about a very narrow field; additionally, it is a
> > field PowerShell was optimised for.
>
> > Tschö,
> > Torsten.
>
> And adding to that, if you don't care about cross platform anyway, why
> even bother with python? I am sure that MS has tools that can do in a
> point and click kind of way all the things you might encounter.
>
> --
> mph

I code mostly for Windows users, but I use Python almost exclusively.
Why?

1) Python is "free"
2) Microsoft Visual Studio is very expensive
3) Python is Open Source
4) Visual Studio is not Open Source
5) I can actually take the code from IDLE and refine it for my
purposes if it doesn't suit me. Good luck doing that with practically
anything Microsoft supplies.
6) With relative ease, I can go cross-platform with my code if
requirements change

I could go on. There are many good reasons to use Python (or some
other good open source language, like Ruby) even if you just program
for Windows.

Mike