Looping through the gmail dot trick

Neil Hodgson nyamatongwe+thunder at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 16:13:03 EST 2008

Martin Marcher:

> are you saying that when i have 2 gmail addresses
>
> "foo.bar at gmail.com" and
> "foobar at gmail.com"
>
> they are actually treated the same? That is plain wrong and would break a
> lot of mail addresses as I have 2 that follow just this pattern and they
> are delivered correctly!

    This is a feature of some mail services such as Gmail, not of email
addresses generically. One use is to provide a set of addresses given
one base address. '+' works as well as '.' so when I sign up to service
monty I give them the address nyamatongwe+monty at gmail.com. Then when I
receive spam at nyamatongwe+monty, I know who to blame and what to block.

    Neil