Core Python Programming . . .

Yu-Xi Lim yuxi at ece.gatech.edu
Sat Jan 19 08:57:24 EST 2008

FireNWater wrote:

> I guess I'm not fully up to speed on what constitutes an IP address.
> Does the term 'octet' refer to an 8-bit (xFF) number?

Yes, it somewhat archaic though. It's used when "byte" is ambiguous. On
some ancient (by computing standards) computers, the size of a byte may
be as small as 6 bits or as big as 9.

For the purposes of this question, I think it's safe to assume an IP
address is just a 32-bit number. And you need to extract each group of
8-bits and print those out with dots between them.