Tab indentions on different platforms?

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Jan 1 20:31:06 EST 2008

Hallöchen!

Ben Finney writes:

> Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> writes:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> There's a very good reason to buck the trend whenever practical:
>> tabs have the considerable benefit that they decouple the
>> presentation of the code from the structure of the code.
>
> Huh? I can only interpret this to mean that you think it's a good
> thing for a text file one is *directly editing* to be rendered in
> such a way that one cannot tell quite what one is really editing.

No.  It's more like the old battle visual vs. semantic markup in
markup languages.  Both markup is unambiguous.  After all, the width
of a tab is nowhere defined.  It really is a matter of the editor's
settings.  I, for example, dislike too wide indenting.  I use four
columns in Python and two in Delphi.  However, there are Python
projects using eight spaces for each indentation level.

If all Python code used tabs, eveybody could use their own
preferences, for both reading and writing code, and interoperability
would be maintained nevertheless.

Tschö,
Torsten.

                                      Jabber ID: bronger at jabber.org