PyCairo, PIL and StringIO

Jair Trejo jairtrejo at yahoo.com.mx
Tue Jan 1 20:14:51 EST 2008

I'm doing some image processing in PIL, and I want to
display the results in a GTK window using PyCairo, so
I create a Cairo image surface from the PIL Image like
this:

        mfile = StringIO.StringIO()
        final.save(mfile, format="PNG")
        ima =
cairo.ImageSurface.create_from_png(mfile)
        mfile.close()
        return ima

Where final is a PIL image. The problem is, I get a
IOError: error while reading from Input Stream.

¿Any idea of why is this happening? I tried saving to
a temporary file, i.e., replace the above code with:

        final.save('final.png')
        ima =
cairo.ImageSurface.create_from_png('final.png')

Instead of a StringIO object, and it works just fine.