Sorting a list depending of the indexes of another sorted list

Santiago Romero sromero at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 02:41:13 EST 2008

 Hi ...

 I have the following DNS MX records info:

domain.com
preference 10 host mx1.domain.com
preference 30 host anotherhost.domain.com
preference 20 host mx2.domain.com

 I'm storing this info in 2 lists:

preferences = [10, 30, 20]
hosts = [ "mx1.domain.com", "anotherhost.domain.com",
"mx2.domain.com"]

 (I was about to use a dict of  preferences : domain, but it's
possible to find 2 mx records with the same preference, so keys
wouldnt be unique).

 I'm trying to sort both lists so that they end like this:

preferences = [10, 20, 30]
hosts = [ "mx1.domain.com", "mx2.domain.com",
"anotherhost.domain.com" ]

 I want to sort hosts list depending on the numeric order of
"preferences".

 And finally ... do you think there is a better python structure to
store this data and sort it in a more easy way?

 Thanks.