handling asynchronous callbacks from c++ in a python script

Tim Spens t_spens at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 18:46:40 EST 2008

I have a c++ program running that has boost python hooks for the c++ api.
I'm running a python client that makes calls into the c++ api.  The problem is there are c++
asynchronous callbacks that need to pass information to the python client.  What I was hoping to
do is call a python function from c++ that resides in the running "main()" python client
while in the c++ callback handlers.
Is this possible and if you can point me to an example or documentation on how to do this it would be much appreciated?

NOTE: I've been asking on the c++-sig mailing list about this and David Abrahams (very well versed in boost python) said:
"I'm not an expert on asynchronous python and this is really not a Boost.Python question. I suggest you ask on the regular Python mailing list.  Sorry."