Converting a bidimensional list in a bidimensional array

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Jan 9 14:54:02 EST 2008

Santiago Romero:
> - Speed Performance: Do you think that changing from list to Array()
> would improve speed? I'm going to do lots of tilemap[y][x] checks (I
> mean, player jumping around the screen, checking if it's falling over
> a non-zero tile, and so).

First of all: if you have enough memory to use a python list, then I
suggest you to use a list.

That said, often the best way to know the speed is to write a little
testing code.

Often python lists are faster than array.array (maybe because python
lists actually contain pyobjects).

If you want an array.array to be faster than a list you can use Psyco.

Bye,
bearophile