Python too slow?

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Wed Jan 9 15:26:05 EST 2008

dongie.agnir at gmail.com a écrit :
> I'm pretty new to Python, and even newer to Image/Video processing,
> and trying to get started on a project similar to GRL Vienna's laser
> marker. I found some sample code here http://janto.blogspot.com/2006/01/motion-capture-in-python.html,
> but after running the code with the included sample input file, it
> seems quite slow (1-2 seconds from start to finish to do the 800 by
> 600 gif image).
>
> Is there a better way to do color tracking,

Not having any experience with this domain, I can't comment on this.

> or is Python just too slow
> as an interpreted language

Being "interpreted" is a quality of an implementation, not of a
language. And the reference implementation of Python (CPython) is not
interpreted, it's compiled to byte-code, which is then executed by a VM
(just like Java). So while CPython may possibly be too slow for your
application (it can indeed be somewhat slow for some tasks), the reasons
are elsewhere (hint: how can a compiler safely optimize anything in a
language so dynamic that even the class of an object can be changed at
runtime ?) ...