Python too slow?

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com
Thu Jan 10 03:37:57 EST 2008

Ed Jensen a écrit :
> Bruno Desthuilliers <bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr> wrote:
>> And the reference implementation of Python (CPython) is not
>> interpreted, it's compiled to byte-code, which is then executed by a VM
>> (just like Java).
>
> Wow, this is pretty misleading.

Ho yes ??? Why so, please ? Care to point to anything *wrong* in the
above statement ?

> Java is, indeed, compiled to bytecode; however, modern JVMs typically
> compile the bytecode to native code and then execute the native code.

Which is known as JIT compilation - and there are a couple attempts at
it in Python too.

Anyway, the JIT compiler is not part of the Java spec (while the
byte-code/VM is), and its not garanteed to be there on each an every
Java VM.

> CPython strictly interprets bytecode;

And ?

> it does not compile the
> bytecode to native code.

And ?

I fail to see how the existence of JIT compilers in some Java VM changes
anything to the fact that both Java (by language specification) and
CPython use the byte-code/VM scheme.