LANG, locale, unicode, setup.py and Debian packaging

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jan 13 12:02:00 EST 2008

> Could it not be that the app doing the output (say konsole) could be
> displaying a filename as best as it can (doing the ignore/replace) trick and
> using whatever fonts it can reach) and this would disguise the situation?

No. It may use replacement characters (i.e. a question mark, or an empty
square box), but if you don't see such characters, then the terminal has
successfully decoded the file names. Whether it also correctly decoded
them is something for you to check (i.e. do they look right?)

> I have been looking for somewhere online that I can download files obviously
> in a non-ascii set (like japan someplace) but can't find anything easy. I
> want to see exactly how my system (Kubuntu 7.10) handles things.

So what does sys.getfilesystemencoding() say what encoding is used for
filenames?

Regards,
Martin