python2.4-dbg and C modules

hanke at volny.cz hanke at volny.cz
Wed Jan 23 02:58:38 EST 2008

Hello,

please, when I try to run my code under python2.4-dbg
from Ubuntu, the interpreter complains that the Py_InitModule4
symbol is undefined in a C module I'm using (PyOpenAL):

ImportError: /var/lib/python-support/python2.4/_openal.so: undefined
symbol: Py_InitModule4

Google reveals that this problem is not specific just to PyOpenAL,
but I couldn't find out what is the essence of the problem and how
python-2.4dbg is different from python2.4 except for including
debugging symbols, because in plain python2.4 the module works
fine. Also, the same thing happens with python 2.5 (not the
-dbg variant).

Please, what is the problem and how to overcome it?

Thank you,
Hynek Hanke