Sorting a list depending of the indexes of another sorted list

Mon Jan 21 04:21:32 EST 2008

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:23:50 +0800, J. Peng wrote:

> J. Peng 写道:
>
>>    k = (i.split())[3]
>>    y = (i.split())[1]
>
> btw, why can't I write the above two into one statement?
>
> (k,y) = (i.split())[3,1]

I don't know. What's "i"?

I'm guessing "i" is a string (and what a horrible choice of a name for a
string!) So i.split() will return a list. List indexing with multiple
arguments isn't defined, which is why you can't write

k, y = (i.split())[3,1]

BTW, the outermost set of brackets is unnecessary. You can write:

i.split()[3]

instead of (i.split())[3]

--
Steven