Question on os.tempnam() vulnerability

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat Jan 5 11:13:22 EST 2008

On 2008-01-05, Martin v. Löwis <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

>> I know.  That's the point of my question: how do you do that
>> under Windows?
>
> When you create a new process, you have the option to inherit
> file handles to the new process. So the parent should open the
> file, and then inherit the handle to the new process.

That's an answer, though not for the question I asked.  The
program that's being run requires a that it be passed a
filename on the command-line.

I'm not writing the program that is to open the file.  If I
were, I'd just make it a python module and call it instead of
running it in a separate process.

> IOW, it's the same approach as on Unix.

Not really.  Under Unix you can safely create a temp file with
a name that can be used to open the file.  I asked about a way
to do that under Windows as well.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  ... I live in a
                                  at               FUR-LINE FALLOUT SHELTER