executing newgrp from python in current shell possible?

Zentrader zentraders at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 15:18:42 EST 2008

On Jan 9, 5:56 am, Svenn Are Bjerkem <svenn.bjer... at googlemail.com>
wrote:

>I have been looking for a way to execute this command
> as a part of a script, but it seems that the changes are only valid in
> the context of the script and when the script exits, the current shell
> still have the original "users" group setting.

I don't think you would want it any other way.  Would you want a user
to be able to change the group and have it remain permanently?  Who's
going to remember whether they were last in "A" or "B", and it opens
up oportunities for the practical joker when you go to the restroom
and leave the terminal on.  Put the "change the group" code into a
separate function in a separate file (with only you as the owner) and
call it whenever you want to change groups.