Stripping whitespace

ryan k ryan at ryankaskel.com
Wed Jan 23 15:23:53 EST 2008

On Jan 23, 3:02 pm, John Machin <sjmac... at lexicon.net> wrote:
> On Jan 24, 6:57 am, ryan k <r... at ryankaskel.com> wrote:
>
> > So yea i will just have to count dashes.
>
> Read my lips: *you* counting dashes is dumb. Writing your code so that
> *code* is counting dashes each time it opens the file is smart.

Okay it's almost working ...

new parser function:

def _load_table(self):
        counter = 0
        for line in self.table_fd:
            # Skip the second line
            if counter == 0:
                # This line contains the columns, parse it
                column_list = line.split()
            elif counter == 1:
                # These are the dashes
                line_l = line.split()
                column_width = [len(i) for i in line_l]
                print column_width
            else:
                # This is a row, parse it
                marker = 0
                row_vals = []
                for col in column_width:
                    start = sum(column_width[:marker])
                    finish = sum(column_width[:marker+1])
                    print line[start:finish].strip()
                    row_vals.append(line[start:finish].strip())
                    marker += 1
                self.rows.append(Row(column_list, row_vals))
            counter += 1

Something obvious you can see wrong with my start finish code?

['rimon', 'rimon', 'Barr', 'Rimon', '22 Greenside Cres., Thornhill, ON
L3T 6W9', '2', '', 'm', '102', '100
-', '22.13     1234567890', 'barr at cs.cornell.edu', '']
['UNAME', 'PASSWD', 'LNAME', 'FNAME', 'ADDR', 'ZONE', 'SEX', 'AGE',
'LIMIT', 'BALANCE', 'CREDITCARD', 'EMAIL',
 'ACTIVE']