Just for fun: Countdown numbers game solver

dg.google.groups at thesamovar.net dg.google.groups at thesamovar.net
Sun Jan 20 15:51:36 EST 2008

Hi Marek,

That's a really nice solution (and ultrafast).

Unfortunately I realise I stated the problem imprecisely. You're only
allowed to use each number once (otherwise there's a trivial solution
for every problem, i.e. x/x + x/x + x/x + ... + x/x repeated y times
for target y given any source number x). Trying your program on 234
from [100,9,7,6,3,1] gives you 9*9*3-9 using the 9 three times.

Does your solution adjust to deal with this additional requirement? At
first I thought it would be an easy fix, but maybe it's a little more
complicated than I thought...

Dan Goodman