[Kamaelia] TCPClient: How to sense connection failure?

Bjoern Schliessmann usenet-mail-0306.20.chr0n0ss at spamgourmet.com
Fri Jan 11 16:10:23 EST 2008

Hello,

I'm currently trying to implement a simulation program with Kamaelia
and need a reliable TCP connection to a data server.

>From Twisted, I know that a method is called if the connection fails
by whatever reason. I tried to get the same results with Kamaelia's
TCPClient component. If I start up the component and try to connect
to a closed TCP port it fails and sends a message out of the signal
box, that's okay.

But if the connection attempt succeeds and, after some time, the
server drops the connection with full TCP handshake (FIN, FIN+ACK,
ACK), the component just hangs and does nothing. Is this by design,
or could there be an error in my setup?

Also, how long does a TCPClient component live -- or how can/should
I terminate it explicitly? I'm afraid that if I create
a "ReconnectingTCPClient" component, it could eat up memory over
long runtime with hanging TCPClients.

Regards,

Björn

--
BOFH excuse #246:

It must have been the lightning storm we had (yesterday) (last week)
(last month)