Text-based data inspector for Python?

kj socyl at 987jk.com.invalid
Thu Jan 24 19:36:16 EST 2008

I've only recently started programming in Python, trying to wean
myself from Perl.  One of the things I *really* miss from Perl is
a 100% mouse-free data inspector, affectionally known as the Perl
debugger, PerlDB, or just perl -d.  With it I can examine the most
elaborate data structures with ease:

  DB<234> |x %one_most_elaborate_data_structure

...and miles of data, paged for leisurely browsing, lie at my feet.

And, since it's text-based, I can run it within a shell in Emacs,
and transfer anything I want between it and an editing buffer
without even a THOUGHT of touching the filthy mouse!  If there's
a greater joy in life I have yet to find it.

Now, I have NO DOUBT in my mind WHATSOEVER that a plethora of simply
amazing GRAPHICAL data inspectors (or the equivalent) exist for
Python, with exquisite features, animation, sound effects,
scratch-and-sniff, massage, built-in spiritual advisor, you-name-it.
Beautiful stuff, no doubt.

But an old geezer like me likes to keep his knobby hands on the
keyboard at all times, so that his arthritic shoulder keeps quiet...

So.  Can I hope to find a text-based data inspector for Python?

kynn