Natural-language datetime parsing and display (was: user friendly datetime features)

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue Jan 8 20:57:38 EST 2008

"Daniel Fetchinson" <fetchinson at googlemail.com> writes:

> I'm guessing this feature is needed so often in so many projects that
> it has been implemented already by several people. Does anyone know of
> such a stand alone module?

The 'python-dateutil' library allows easy *programmatic* manipulation
of relative date expressions, but not in natural language.

The closest I know of is the "Chandler Desktop" release notes
<URL:http://chandlerproject.org/Projects/ReleaseNotes> mentioning
"parsing of natural language date and time". You might want to get the
source code and see if their implementation is suitable for your use.
Do be sure to check the license terms for compatibility with your own
intended use of the work.

--
 \        "Intellectual property is to the 21st century what the slave |
  `\                           trade was to the 16th."  -- David Mertz |