Python too slow?

Jaimy Azle jazle at localhost.com
Tue Jan 15 02:33:50 EST 2008

<bruno.desthuilliers at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > fact 1: CPython compiles source code to byte-code.
>> > fact 2: CPython executes this byte-code.
>> > fact 3: Sun's JDK compiles source code to byte-code.
>> > fact 4: Sun's JDK executes this byte-code.
>>
>> Fact 4 is misleading because it is only one option available to Sun's
>> JDK.  Sun's JDK is also capable of transforming the byte-code to
>> native code and letting the processor execute that instead of the
>> original byte code, and that is where the most significant speed
>> increase comes from.  Most importantly, it does so automatically, by
>> default, with no programmer intervention or configuration, and with
>> 100% compatibility, so it doesn't compare well to Python accelerators
>> like psyco.
>
> Then fact 1 is misleading too since Python handles the compilation
> automatically without programmer's intervention while Java requires
> someone to explicitely invoke the byte-code compiler.

Sadly it is true also, I read somewhere this silly point was used also to
make distinction between java and python, then claiming python is just like
another interpreter, while java has it's own (what they call as) 'compiler'.
:)

perhaps in the future another sillly point could be added also, Java has
Jython, while Python doesn't have some thing like PyJava or... perhaps Py-va
(Python based Java Language).

Salam,

-Jaimy.