Python web aps - A matter of security

lloyd at paisite.com lloyd at paisite.com
Sat Jan 5 13:41:02 EST 2008

Hello,

I'm developing a Python-based web ap, but don't understand how to best organize the modules and set permissions for maximum security.

Here's how the Python code for my ap is organized:

1) I have Python modules in a project directory. The path to that directory is in a  *.pth file  in the .*/pythonx-y/site-packages directory.

Question: who should own these modules; what groups should have access, and how should permissions be set?

2) I have high-level modules that import the worker-bee modules in the web root directory tree that are called by the webserver.

Questions: who should own these modules, what groups should have access, and how should permissions be set?

3) Is there a better way to organize my Python modules? Are there other security issues I should heed?

Many thanks,

Lloyd