OT: Speed of light [was Re: Why not a Python compiler?]

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Feb 13 18:11:25 EST 2008

I V wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:07:49 -0800, Erik Max Francis wrote:
>> experience.  The notion of impetus -- where an object throw moves in a
>> straight line until it runs out of impetus, then falls straight down --
>> is clearly contrary to everyday experience of watching two people throw
>> a ball back and forth from a distance, since the path of the ball is
>> clearly curved.
>
> It's clear _to us_ because when we think about such things, we think in
> Newtonian terms. I'm not at all sure it would have been clear to people
> in the middle ages; when you throw a ball, it whizzes by so fast, it's
> hard to be sure how it's actually moving.

Hence why I suggested standing back from two people throwing it back and
forth.  If they lob it high, it's hard to miss that the pass is curved.

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM, Y!M erikmaxfrancis
   Man has wrested from nature the power to make the world a desert or
    to make deserts bloom. -- Adlai Stevenson, 1952