Indentation and optional delimiters

castironpi at gmail.com castironpi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 13:12:31 EST 2008

On Feb 26, 11:27 am, bearophileH... at lycos.com wrote:
> castiro... at gmail.com:
>
> > It's Unpythonic to compile a machine instruction out of a script.  But
> > maybe in the right situations, with the right constraints on a
> > function, certain chunks could be native, almost like a mini-
> > compilation.  How much machine instruction do you want to support?
>
> This language is meant for newbies, or for very quick scripts, or for
> less bug-prone code, so optimizations are just a way to avoid such
> programs run 5 times slower than Ruby ones ;-)
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

My first thought is to accept ambiguities, and then disambiguate them
at first compile.  Whether you want to record the disambiguations in
the script itself ("do not modify -here-"-style), or an annotation
file, could be optional, and could be both.  Queueing an example... .
You could lose a bunch of the parentheses too, oy.

"It looks like you mean, 'if "jackson" exists in namesmap', but there
is also a 'namesmap' folder in the current working directory.  Enter
(1) for dictionary, (2) for file system."

[snip]
if 'jackson' in namesmap:
->
if 'jackson' in namesmap: #namesmap.__getitem__
[snip]

automatically.

And while you're at it, get us Starcrafters a command-line interface.

build 3 new barracks at last click location
produce at capacity 30% marines, 20% seige tanks, 10% medics
attack hotspot 9 in attack formation d

def d( army, enemy, terrain ):.  ha?