Client side GUI-like web framework ?

Eric eric.talevich at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 19:58:50 EST 2008

On Feb 4, 9:45 am, USCode <d... at spamon.me> wrote:
> Wouldn't it be handy if there was a web framework that allowed you to
> create pages and control the interface like you would using a
> client-side GUI framework such as Tkinter?
>
> The framework would need a small, fast web server that would
> automatically fire up when you ran your application and you then control
> the interface just like you would with client-side GUI widgets (within
> the limitations of browsers of course).  It would handle all the
> complexities of HTTP, HTML, Javascript, etc. letting you focus on adding
> functionality to your application.
>
> Essentially you would be using the browser as your cross-platform
> client-side interface.  You would just interact with all the widgets
> like trees, grids, paned windows, checkboxes, buttons, etc.
>
> There wouldn't happen to be anything like that available, would there?
> I've seen CherryPy but that doesn't quite seem to be what I described.
>
> Thanks!

The most all-encompassing Python web framework I know of is
Turbogears. It handles Javascript, your database, and everything in
between; CherryPy is its built-in server. The setup script for it is
kind of horrifying, on account of the huge number of separate packages
it grabs from around the Internet, but it's still a popular framework.
I think that's one thing you could use for an easy-peasy, highly
interactive web application.

There is actually no shortage of existing Python web frameworks.