Encrypting a short string?

Martin Marcher martin at marcher.name
Mon Feb 11 16:59:47 EST 2008

Hi,

On 2/11/08, erikcw <erikwickstrom at gmail.com> wrote:
> In essence what I'm doing is trying to manage tickets for a helpdesk.
> I want the ticket identifier to be short enough to fit in the subject
> line along with the normal subject chosen by the user.  So
> cryptographic security isn't really important.  I can't use the from:
> field because a single user could have multiple tickets.

I've always wondered why such systems don't use the Message-ID or
Reference headers - I know they aren't preserved by all mailers but I
think that having this info in the subject line is

a) visually disturbing (subjective)
b) I guess that the risk of a user modifying the subject line is the
same than finding a programm that doesn't to some extent honor the
headers i mentioned...
<flame>
c) Personally whenever I find a mail that says please keep this in the
subject I delete that number on purpose...
</flame>

martin
--
http://noneisyours.marcher.name
https://twitter.com/MartinMarcher

You are not free to read this message,
by doing so, you have violated my licence
and are required to urinate publicly. Thank you.