Difficulty with "inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation" in file called <string>

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Feb 11 21:10:51 EST 2008

En Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:57:00 -0200, ibloom <ianmbloom at gmail.com> escribió:

> My main problem is, I don't know where to find the file:
>   File "<string>", line 628
>
> As in I don't know what code it is refering to by <string> ??
> It isn't code that I wrote, its something from python or pyObjC

Mmm, didn't you get my previous post? The call is inside the py2app
package. Quoting myself:

>> <string>: inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
>> python2.4/site-packages/py2app/py2app/util.py", line 13, in
>> find_version
>>     ast = compiler.parseFile(fn)
>
> Put a print statement just above that line, to see which file triggers
> the
> error.

In case it wasn't clear, modify the file
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/py2app/py2app/util.py,
around line 13, in the find_version function, adding this print statement:

     print 'about to compile', fn
     ast = compiler.parseFile(fn)

The last line printed (in case there are many) should be the offending
filename.

Of course you don't have to keep the modified library, this is just to
detect which file triggers the error. You should report this to the py2app
developers as well.

--
Gabriel Genellina