why not bisect options?

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Fri Feb 29 14:15:17 EST 2008

[Robert Bossy]
> I thought it would be useful if insort and consorts* could accept the
> same options than list.sort, especially key and cmp.

If you're going to do many insertions or searches, wouldn't it be
*much* more efficient to store your keys in a separate array?

The sort() function guarantees that it calls the key function exactly
once for each member of the list.  With and bisect/insort, successive
searches can call the key function over and over again with the same
value.

Raymond