What should I use under *nix instead of freeze?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Feb 1 20:29:35 EST 2008

> "I think nobody really cares about freeze any more -- it isn't
> maintained."
>
> That being the case, what is the preferred/best replacement for freeze
> on a *nix platform?

I don't think that there is one, or that there should be one.

If you care about the feature (i.e. provide a single executable of
your application), you should contribute to maintenance of freeze.
Maybe there is only a few of you (because people typically assume
that Python comes preinstalled with *nix, so why would you have to
redistribute the interpreter?), but then, maintenance of freeze
doesn't take that much effort, either.

> I'm looking for something that, like freeze,
> turns my application into a single-file executable, of the smallest
> size possible, that can be executed on a machine with no Python
> installation or development system.

Please understand that it's not freeze that nobody cares about
anymore - it's this specific use case that nobody cares about anymore.
You must have a very odd collection of target systems if you can't
assume that a Python binary is provided by the system vendor. In
that case, consider giving back to the community, and contribute
any patches to freeze that you may find necessary.

Regards,
Martin